Thursday, June 12, 2008

School Days and Anne Boleyn

My Caroline,

As usual, you are simply fascinating. I don't know many 7 year olds who even know who Anne Boleyn is, but you not only have a good grasp of her story (better than most adults I know), you have also adopted her as a character in your repertoire of play-acting parts. Now, it's true that we don't have an abundance of Tudor-type costumes to choose from in this house (try nothing, really) but that has not stopped your imagination from concocting something you feel is close.
The other night you came to me wearing one of my headbands (which you always tell me looks like one Anne Bolyen would wear) and one of my shirts, which I guess you think fits the picture as well as anything we have. The best part though, was your expression. Trying to imitate the portraits of the time, you adopted this imperious and prim expression, your chin up, your mouth pursed. I love it!



Just be careful who you marry, OK?


Today was your last day of school. And you, ever the non-conformist, decided to forego wearing your pyjamas to school as your friends were all doing and instead wore your pretty yellow chiffon dress that Grandma Myrick sent to you. You walked with confidence amazing in someone your age and you looked absolutely adorable. You got lots of smiles from people as we walked to your bus stop this morning.

Your little pink cardigan sweater over it, and your little sandals made you look girlier than you normally put up with.



And for the last bit of this post, I offer my congratulations to you. You aced your STAR testing, which your teacher announced to your class, AND your report card today was wonderful! You are definitely a smart little girl, and your father and I are so proud to see you putting that brain power to work. Not only in your academic life but in your creativity. The world is wide open to you!

I will end this post with mine and Daddy's love, and with the words of your teacher, Herr Zappey, who we are fortunate to be having as your teacher again next year. Herr Zappey, we are incredibly impressed with your dedication and skill. Caroline has grown---we can see it!---and it is obvious that you get a lot of the credit for that. We are so blessed to know we'll be seeing you again. ;o)


"Caroline has made outstanding progress this year! Her reading and written expression have flourished and her German has grown by leaps and bounds. Caroline has wonderful and creative ideas and gets other kids hooked! I enjoy her enthusiasm and dedication to principles! Thanks for a great year---see you in August!"

No comments: